Trinity Meringue Cookies
- Serving Size
- 36 cookies
- 3 egg whites at room temperature
- Pinch of salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tarter
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon mint extract
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips
- Several drops of green food coloring
(Photo from Photos.com)
Who can resist light and crunchy - not to mention mint chocolaty - meringue cookies? You don't have to be an advanced baker to pull these off, or an artist to shape them like shamrocks. These treats are sure to be a hit wherever they're served! Recipe makes about 3 dozen cookies.
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees Fahrenheit
- Beat egg whites, salt, and cream of tarter in a glass or metal mixing bowl until soft peaks form
- Slowly add the sugar while continuing to mix. Continue beating until stiff. Add the mint extract, chocolate chips, and food coloring, and beat for an additional 30 seconds.
- Put the mixture into a gallon-sized zipper plastic bag and snip off about 1/4 inch of the bottom corner.
- Squeeze the mixture out onto parchment paper in the shape of shamrocks.
- Make 1 teardrop-shaped blob for each of the shamrock leaves, and finish with a line at the bottom for a stem.
- Bake for 90 minutes or until dry and crispy.