St. Patrick's Shepherd's Pie
- Number of Servings
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 cup beef broth
- Salt and pepper
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 cup frozen carrots
- 2 1/2 cups mashed potatoes
- 1 green pepper (with three lobes)
(Photo from Photos.com)
Not only did St. Patrick work as a shepherd when he was a slave, but he later became an ordained bishop, a shepherd for the Lord. You can remember this on his feast day by making a simple shepherd's pie for dinner and embellishing it with his symbol for the Trinity (here, we use a green pepper sliced to look like a shamrock). Recipe serves 4-6
- Brown the ground beef and add the broth, then salt and pepper to taste.
- Mix in the peas and carrots, and then put the ground beef mixture into a pie or casserole dish.
- Arrange the mashed potatoes on top however you'd like.
- Slice the green pepper crossways to get a shamrock shape (you'll get the best shamrock from a slice closest to the bottom end of the pepper). Place this "shamrock" on top of the mashed potatoes, adding another silver of pepper to make a stem.
- Bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit until the pie is warm throughout and the mashed potatoes start to brown on the edges.