Gesundheits kuchen (“good health cake”)
- Number of Servings
- 6 large eggs, separated
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- ¼ cup ground almonds
- ½ teaspoon almond extract
- 2½ cups sifted all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup milk
- Grated rind of 1 lemon
- Confectioners sugar
- Preheat the oven to 350° F. Grease and lightly flour a tube pan.
- Beat the yolks well. Add the sugar, beating well again. Add the cooled butter, almonds, and almond extract, and mix well.
- Fold in the flour, baking powder, salt, lemon rind, and milk.
- Beat the egg whites until stiff but not dry, and fold in.
- Pour into the greased pan and bake for 45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the middle of the cake comes out clean. Cool in the pan for 10 minutes, then turn out and cool completely. Sprinkle the top with confectioners sugar.
- Nutrition Information
545 calories, 30 g fat, 225 mg cholesterol, 290 mg sodium, 11 g protein,
60 g carbohydrate
Recipe from In Memory’s Kitchen, edited by Cara de silva (Jason Aronson/Rowman & Littlefield). adapted by Joan Nathan, author of 10 cookbooks, including Jewish Cooking in America. Reprinted by permission of Joan Nathan.