Apricot Almond Chicken
- Number of Servings
- ¼ cup apple cider vinegar
- ½ cup all-fruit apricot jam
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 4 (4 oz.) boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 2 tablespoons sliced almonds
- 1 cup dried apricots
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- ½ cup chopped shallots
- 1½ teaspoon fresh thyme, minced
- Combine vinegar and jam in a small pot over medium to low heat. Cook, stirring often, until the jam is dissolved, approximately 3 to 4 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in salt and pepper. Let cool slightly and reserve ½ cup of sauce. Place chicken and remainder of sauce in a large resealable plastic bag. Seal and shake gently to coat. Place in refrigerator and let marinate for 1 to 2 hours.
- In a small dry skillet, over medium heat, toast almonds until lightly browned, approximately 5 minutes. Remove from heat immediately and set aside.
- Place dried apricots in 1 cup of very hot water for 2 minutes. Remove and set aside. Chop finely when cool.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium to high heat. Add shallots and thyme and cook, stirring often, until shallots soften, about 1 minute. Remove chicken from marinade, discarding marinade. Add the chicken to the pan and cook until it starts to brown, about 2 minutes on each side.
- Add the reserved apricot sauce and softened, chopped apricots. Stir to fully coat chicken. Reduce heat, cover, and cook until chicken is cooked through, approximately 8 to 10 minutes. Sprinkle with almonds and serve immediately.
- Nutrition Information
Per serving: 370 calories; 7 g. total fat; 52 g. carbohydrates; 29 g. protein; 3 g. dietary fiber; 390 mg. sodium
Recipe courtesy of the American Institute for Cancer Research