Mussels in Spicy Red Sauce
- Serving Size
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 8 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 1 teaspoon hot pepper flakes
- 1 (28 oz.) can whole, peeled Italian tomatoes in puree
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 cup drained capers
- 2 tablespoons dry red wine
- salt and pepper
- 4 pounds mussels, beared and washed
Lots of flavor, lots of spice.
- Heat the oil in a skillet set over medium-high heat.
- Add the garlic and hot pepper and stir, cooking, about 2 minutes.
- Add all of the remaining ingredients, except the mussels, and cook, uncovered, stirring occasionally, for about 15 minutes.
- Add the mussels to the hot, bubbling tomato sauce. Cover and cook 8 to 10 minutes, until the mussels have opened. Discard any mussels that remain closed. Stir well so that the tomato sauce and mussel juices are well combined.
From Barbarians at the Plate: Taming and Feeding the Modern American Family by Marialisa Calta, Perigee Books. © 2005 Marialisa Calta. Reprinted with permission of the author.