(Side dish, Vegetarian)
- 4 ripe (yellow) plantains
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1/3 cup honey
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons butter or margarine
Breakfast at Patricia's house
To honey-roast the plaintains after frying them , you'll need:
- Peel the plantains and cut lengthwise in two.
- Heat the oil in a sauté pan on medium.
- Add the plantains and sauté on both sides until lightly browned.
- When the plantains are browned, place them in an oven-proof dish with the butter or margarine. Drizzle the honey over the plantains and sprinkle with the cinnamon.
- Roast at 350°.
- Remove from oven after 20 minutes. Eat hot or cold.
Plantains (platanos), a banana-like fruit, are eaten daily by many Salvadorans. They can be eaten with beans or eggs for a meal, or anytime as a snack.
Recipe courtesy of Yesenia Alfaro, CFCA. Translated and adapted by Sheila Myers, CFCA.