Cornbread: Dinner at Jeremy's House
(Breads, Side dish)
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup stone-ground cornmeal
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon shortening
Serve dinner at your house with a side of cornbread, a favorite southern treat that Jeremy and his family enjoy.
- Preheat oven to 450°. Put shortening in a 9-inch round iron skillet and place in the warming oven to melt.
- In a bowl, stir the cornmeal, salt, and baking soda together. Add the egg and buttermilk and mix well.
- Remove the skillet from the oven and pour the batter into the hot skillet, stirring the melted shortening into the batter.
- Bake for 30 to 40 minutes. Remove from oven when top of cornbread is brown and turn out onto a serving plate.
© IStockPhoto.com / Elke Dennis
Recipe courtesy of the Sacred Heart Southern Missions.