Mixed berry cobbler
- Number of Servings
- 2 packages (16 oz. each) frozen unsweetened mixed berries, thawed
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- Pinch of salt
- 2⁄3 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1⁄3 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 tablespoon light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- Generous pinch of salt
- 2 tablespoons softened butter
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- ½ cup fat-free or low-fat milk
- Cinnamon and brown sugar to sprinkle over top
Treat Mom to something sweet this Mother's Day
- Preheat the oven to 375°. In a medium bowl, combine the thawed fruit with the sugar. Mix in the cornstarch and salt, stirring well.
- Bake the fruit mixture in an 8” x 8” or 9” x 9” square baking dish for 45 minutes, stirring once halfway through.
- While the berries are baking, prepare the biscuit topping: Mix together the flours, brown sugar, baking powder, and salt. Add the butter and canola oil, and mix until the ingredients are the consistency of cornmeal. Stir in the milk until just combined, forming a soft biscuit dough. Set aside.
- When fruit is done baking, remove from oven. Turn oven up to 425°. Carefully drop the biscuit dough in small mounds over the fruit. Lightly sprinkle the top with cinnamon and brown sugar.
- Return the cobbler immediately to the oven. Bake 10 to 12 minutes or until biscuits are lightly browned and fruit is bubbly.
- Nutrition Information
4 g. total fat (2 g. saturated fat)
33 g. carbohydrates
3 g. protein
4 g. dietary fiber
116 mg. sodium
Courtesy of the American Institute for Cancer Research (aicr.org). To receive recipes by e-mail, write to email@example.com.
© 2008 Jupiterimages Corporation