Brother Victor’s grilled summer squash & zucchini
(Side dish, Vegetarian)
- Number of Servings
- 1/2 cup good olive oil
- 1 tablespoon fresh rosemary, minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves, mashed with the flat of a knife
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- sea salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- 4 medium zucchini, halved lengthwise
- 4 medium yellow summer squash,halved lengthwise
- Prepare a gas or charcoal grill for direct grilling over medium heat.
- Combine the oil, rosemary, thyme, garlic, lemon juice, and vinegar in a deep bowl and mix well.
- Dip the zucchini and summer squash strips into the sauce or, better yet, coat them on both sides with a pastry brush.
- Grill them for about 3 to 4 minutes per side, or until mildly cooked. Serve immediately with the main course, be it fish, meat, or whatever else.
Note: This recipe also works perfectly with eggplant. Substitute for the squash 4 to 6 medium “Japanese” eggplants, which, being a bit smaller than other eggplants, work well on the grill when halved lengthwise.