Garides Saganaki (Shrimp baked in tomato sauce with feta)
- Serving Size
- ¼ cup olive oil
- ½ cup finely chopped onion
- ½ to 1 teaspoon Aleppo pepper, or ¼ to ½ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1½ pounds medium shrimp, peeled and deveined, tails left on
- ½ cup finely diced tomato, drained in a colander for 5 minutes
- Salt to taste
- 2⁄3 cup coarsely grated hard feta cheese (see note)
- ¼ cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
Note: If you leave feta cheese uncovered in the refrigerator overnight, it will dry and can be easily grated.
- Preheat the oven to 400° F. In a large skillet, heat the oil and sauté the onion over medium heat for 5 minutes, or until soft.
- Add the pepper or pepper flakes and the garlic and sauté for 30 seconds.
- Add the shrimp and sauté for 2 minutes, or until they start to become firm.
- Add the tomato and salt to taste and cook for 2 minutes more, or until sauce begins to thicken. Transfer to a baking dish or four individual gratin dishes.
- Bake for 10 minutes, or until the sauce is bubbly. Sprinkle with the cheese and bake for 2 to 3 minutes more. Sprinkle with parsley and serve.
From The Foods of the Greek Islands, by Aglaia Kremezi (Houghton Mifflin, 2000). Reprinted with permission from the author.