Discover Catholic Montreal!

Share

  1. A view of St. Joseph’s Oratory. The first version of the oratory, founded in 1904, was a small chapel (seen later in this photo essay) that now stands apart from the oratory pictured here. Additional building took place in the following years to create this structure. The dome is the third largest in the world.

    A view of St. Joseph’s Oratory. The first version of the oratory, founded in 1904, was a small chapel (seen later in t…

  2. Some pilgrims climb up to the oratory on their knees, praying. The sign says: “Reserved for pilgrims climbing on their knees.”

    Some pilgrims climb up to the oratory on their knees, praying. The sign says: “Reserved for pilgrims climbing on their…

  3. Crutches line the walls of the votive chapel at St. Joseph’s Oratory. They were left by pilgrims who attribute their cures to the intercession of Brother André.

    Crutches line the walls of the votive chapel at St. Joseph’s Oratory. They were left by pilgrims who attribute their c…

  4. The tomb of Brother André

    The tomb of Brother André…

  5. Notre Dame College, as seen from the oratory. The door to the far right is where Brother André acted as porter.

    Notre Dame College, as seen from the oratory. The door to the far right is where Brother André acted as porter.…

  6. Inside the oratory is a statue of Brother André in the office where he received pilgrims. The walls, furniture, and accessories are from his lifetime.

    Inside the oratory is a statue of Brother André in the office where he received pilgrims. The walls, furniture, and acc…

  7. Interior of the oratory

    Interior of the oratory…

  8. The first oratory, established in 1904

    The first oratory, established in 1904…

  9. Brother André’s room in the first oratory, a small chapel

    Brother André’s room in the first oratory, a small chapel…

  10. La Maison Saint Gabriel, purchased in 1668 by Marguerite Bourgeoys, foundress of the first school in Montreal as well as of the Sisters of the Congregation of Notre-Dame. The house served both as the congregation’s farmhouse and as lodging for the King’s Wards, young Frenchwomen of minimal prospects who were given a dowry by the king to brave the journey to Canada, learn domestic arts at La Maison, and marry among the local men to boost the population.

    La Maison Saint Gabriel, purchased in 1668 by Marguerite Bourgeoys, foundress of the first school in Montreal as well as…

  11. An interior of La Maison Saint Gabriel

    An interior of La Maison Saint Gabriel…

  12. Among Marguerite Bourgeoys’ other contributions to Montreal was its first stone chapel, Notre-Dame-de-Bon-Secours (Our Lady of Good Help). Inside the chapel is a statuette of Notre-Dame-de-Bon-Secours, which was given to Bourgeoys by Pierre Chevrier, Baron de Fancamp, a funder of the project. According to the baron, many people had had their prayers answered or received cures by praying before the statuette. It later survived a fire that ravaged the church.

    Among Marguerite Bourgeoys’ other contributions to Montreal was its first stone chapel, Notre-Dame-de-Bon-Secours (Our…