Jonathan is a big fan of fried chicken. Here’s a healthier version of the traditional dish.
- ½ cup skim milk or buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1 cup cornflakes, crumbled
- 1½ tablespoons onion powder
- 1½ tablespoons garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons black pepper
- 2 teaspoons dried hot pepper, crushed
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 8 pieces chicken, skinless (4 breasts, 4 drumsticks)
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil (use to grease baking pan)
- a few shakes paprika
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- Add 1/2 teaspoon of poultry seasoning to milk.
- Combine all other spices with cornflake crumbs and place in a plastic bag.
- Wash chicken and pat dry. Dip chicken into milk, shake to remove excess, then quickly shake in bag with seasoning and crumbs.
- Refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Remove from refrigerator and sprinkle lightly with paprika for color.
- Evenly space chicken on greased baking pan.
- Cover with aluminum foil and bake 40 minutes. Remove foil and continue baking for an additional 30 to 40 minutes or until the meat can be easily pulled away from the bone with a fork. The drumsticks may require less baking time than the breasts. Crumbs will form a crispy “skin.” (Do not turn chicken during baking.)
National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute (nhlbi.nih.gov).
© 2008 Jupiterimages Corporation