1 batch of cupcakes
chocolate truffles, preferably Ferrero-Rocher hazelnut chocolates
white chocolate for grating
1. Bake a batch of cupcakes (any kind you like). Frost them lightly with white frosting and place them close together on a plate.
2. Use a pastry bag (or ziploc bag with a corner cut off) to pipe frosting over the tops of them, like a heap of spaghetti.
3. Use strawberry jam (Low sugar Smuckers seems to have the best shade of red) to make a pool of “tomato sauce” over the top of the “spaghetti.”
4. Place chocolate balls on top for “meatballs.” The book recommends Ferrero Rocher Hazelnut Chocolates, and I think they would be the most realistic, as they have a bumpy texture. We settled for what our store had in stock: Truffles. Close enough!
5. We also skipped this step, but the book recommends that you grate white chocolate over the top to look like grated cheese. Cool idea, but I was out of white chocolate, and the kids weren’t complaining anyway.
It was that easy! Who can resist this kind of fun with frosting? –Danielle Bean