For giving, order monastery chocolates for Valentine’s Day. For celebrating with loved ones, here’s a luscious recipe from the book Fondue by Lenny Rice and Brigid Callinan (Ten Speed Press, 2007).
- 10 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 1 cup unsalted hazelnut butter (see note)
- 1¼ cups heavy (whipping) cream
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- ¼ cup Frangelico or other hazelnut liqueur
- toasted baguette cubes
- banana chunks
- shortbread cookies
- marble cake or sour cream pound
- cake cubes
- Place the chocolate and hazelnut butter in a large heat-proof bowl and set aside.
- In a heavy saucepan, combine the cream, salt, and sugar and bring to a boil over high heat.
- Remove from the heat and pour over the chocolate mixture. Let the mixture sit for several minutes, then whisk gently until melted.
- Whisk in the liqueur, then pass the mixture though a fine mesh strainer.
- Transfer immediately to a fondue pot and serve.
Note: Hazelnut butter may be found at natural foods and specialty stores, or at Futters Nut Butters (877-772-2155) or ShopNatural.